Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Skiing in April!

So, for the first time in a year I didn't do what the doctor ordered.  I just could not contain my enthusiasm any longer and I went skiing.  Our local resort here in Flagstaff, Snowbowl, closed on Sunday after a good season.  The lifts are off and the crowds are gone, so it is really the perfect time to hike a lap.

Jason and James skinning up Lower Bowl.  Absolutely beautiful setting for a quick skin up and ski down.

Jason Boyd, or Boydo as he is known far and wide, met me at my house at 10:30am.  Dean was supposed to meet us, but was running late after working out at Paragon this morning.  Dean would ralley and we would see him on our way down.  Boydo and I met up with James Brooks in the parking lot, and after putting on my knee brace and ski boots, we started hiking up the hill. 

I often find myself in situations where I am the person with the least experience and skill.  This situation was no different. 

Jason enjoying the spring skinning.

Boydo is a great skier and a complete aerobic animal.  He runs, climbs, and flys during almost every minute of his time off.   I work with Jason in the ICU at Flagstaff Medical Center.  He is a great nurse and an all around good guy.


James cruising the way up.

James is probably one of the coolest all around people in Flagstaff.  He has a ton of skiing and triathlon experience.  James also owns and operates Floor Coverings International.  If you are going to do any flooring or kitchen work in your house talk to James first. 

Unlike my skiing partners I don't have an Alpine Touring set-up on my skis.  So, they were on my back.

A rare picture of me enjoying the hike up.
It took us about an hour to hike from the bottom parking lot, to where the upper catwalk spills out into a run called Logjam.  After layering up and putting on gloves, we started on down.

Now, I have not skiied for a little over a year.  I tore my ACL last March and I am almost exactly one year post repair.  (The repair was made on April 15th, 2010 for those who keep score at home.)  So I was a little nervous being my first time back out on the boards.  I did have my Don-Joy space age knee brace on and I made sure that if I did fall that I would not, under any circumstances, put my left arm out.

The very top is a little steep and I did crash almost right away.  I crashed while skiing through a snow berm that the CAT left.  I just got my weight a little too far forward.  I managed to keep all of my bones and ligaments intact, dusted myself off and kept going.  As we got down further and further my technique started to come back together.  James and Jason were both very positive and gave me great tips on how to ski better.  All in all we got in 1700' of hiking up and skiing down.  Not bad for being just 20 minutes from my front door.

James checking in at the top.  I hate to say it, but it is nice
to have cell service up there.
Me.  Head down, lungs burning, calves as tight as a rock, but having fun!
A great view looking down "Lower Bowl".

 Most people's ski season is pretty much done.  Mine may just be starting.  I just received an invitation to do some spring skiing on Independence Pass.  The pass doesn't usually open until June 1st.  My buddy Ryan Bradley invited me to head up and ski for a few days with him.  After today I would say that I would really like to go.  I hope that it will work out!

Now, I just need to get my hands on a pair of these-




And I need to go here-




No comments:

Post a Comment